Are you looking to move to the Big Apple and jumpstart your career? Whether you’re an aspiring actor, artist, or business professional, getting a working visa for New York City can help you turn your dreams into reality. Read on to find out how you can get a working visa for New York City.

Types of Visas Available

When it comes to living and working in the city, there are several visas available that allow people from all over the world to relocate and make a life in the city. The two main types of visas are non-immigrant visas (which do not provide permanent residency) and immigrant visas (which do provide permanent residency). Depending on the purpose of your stay in New York (work, study, etc.), there may be additional categories available as well.

Non-Immigrant Visas

If you’re looking to work in New York but don’t plan on staying long-term, then a non-immigrant visa is probably the best option for you. These types of visas are ideal if you have already secured employment in the city or are simply looking to stay in New York temporarily. The most common type of non-immigrant visa is the H1B visa, which allows employers to bring foreign nationals with specialized skills or knowledge into their workforce while providing an expedited process for obtaining permanent residency down the line. Other popular ways of securing employment with a non-immigrant visa include E3 visas (for Australians), TN visas (for Mexicans and Canadians), O1/O2 visas (for those who possess extraordinary abilities or achievements) and J1/J2 cultural exchange programs (for students).

Immigrant Visas

For those who wish to live permanently in New York City, an immigrant visa is more likely the better option. Popular immigrant visas for getting permanent residency include family-based visas, EB5 investment/employment creation visas, and diversity lottery green cards. In addition to these options, there are several other types of immigrant visas available that may fit your particular circumstances better; consulting an immigration lawyer can help you decide which type of visa is right for you.

Is it difficult to get a working visa for New York City?

It depends on what type of work you intend on doing once you arrive in the U.S., as well as how long your stay will be; each situation is unique so it’s important to consult a qualified immigration lawyer who can assess your individual situation and determine which type of visa best suits your needs.

What documents do I need to apply for a working visa?

Generally speaking, applicants will need proof that they have secured an offer from an American employer or institution before they begin their application process; this could include letters from employers stating intent to hire as well as documentation outlining job duties and salary expectations. Along with this information applicants should also prepare copies of their academic transcripts and any other relevant documents proving eligibility such as medical records or police reports certifying good character.


Getting a working visa for New York City may seem intimidating at first but with some research and preparation it doesn’t have to be. Knowing which type of visa fits your situation best is key consulting both an immigration lawyer and potential employers can help you secure everything necessary before submitting your application so that it runs smoothly throughout the process. Best of luck.